Welp. Here Goes Nothin’


Well, 5 years and change after getting it on the road for the first time, we’re officially registered for its first autocross this Sunday.

Consequently, last weekend involved a pretty good thrash to get ready. Items on the list included:

1. Buttoning down the updated shifter boot and floor panel
2. Toning down the exhaust to a reasonably obnoxious level
3. Getting it aligned

The nature of the thrash being what it is, there aren’t many pictures of the work. Luckily, a thousand words is worth a picture, so read on to see what we did.

Tinnitus, and its prevention

The exhaust silencing was pretty simple. We used 2.5″ tubing, split it and offset the pieces, then clearanced the edges to more or less cover the the full inside diameter of the pipe as a sort of whoopity-doo baffle as it exits.

Since the car only has an X-pipe, Spintechs, and 3.5″ oval dumps in front of the tire, there was plenty of room to improve. After a quick¬†blast up the road, it seems¬†like this relatively simple solution has toned it down substantially. The proof will be in us not getting kicked out Sunday. There’s no hard decibel limit at this site, but flat-out obnoxious cars are up for a slap on the wrist. No more bleeding ears: success.

A different kind of booted

Next up was the Racequip flame retardant shift boot, and a new custom aluminum floor panel (because nothing bolts on, of course). This will get a coat of SEM trim black and some nice button head fasteners down the road, but raw aluminum and mismatched stainless bolts will do for now. No more hot air to the face going down the road: success.

Getting things in line

On to the business of alignment. Removing the dust caps to attach our Longacre alignment tool revealed that the drivers side spindle had started to contact the cap ever so slightly, leading to pretty shimmering grease outside the outer bearing. Nothing throwing a few sparks can’t cure.

With that out of the way, it was on to the fun part – finally dialing some camber into those fancy control arms we installed way back when.

Base setup will be -3 deg camber, just under 4 deg caster, and a 1/16th toe in. Changes at the track this time around will be limited to shock adjustments on the single adjustable QA1s and brake bias changes using the newly installed Wilwood magic knob.

And, finally, how she sits (well, this was before the alignment, but you get the gist). The proudly ‘Made in Japan’ Enkei 18×9.5/10.5 wheels, admittedly, look much more at home on the shop misfit 350Z, but I can get used to the look if they’ll stick and go.

As they say – Here goes nothin’..

 

, , , ,

Comments are closed.